Friday, August 11, 2006

The Tao of Tea


For most of my life, I've been a tea drinker. Even as a wee preschooler, my grandma and I would have tea parties, never coffee parties. For the most part, that's carried on for the rest of my life, although I must admit to drinking my fair share of coffee these days. It just goes along with academia.
Living in London heightened my tea drinking, and I've found that the best tea in the world is made by Whittard of Chelsea. I drank gallons of their tea in my flat in London, and I often dream of it at home in California. I like my tea strong, with two lumps of sugar, and a dash of cream. For that purpose, Whittard's Sticky Toffee Pudding loose tea can't be beat. I prefer straining loose tea rather than using an infuser, and Whittard also offers a utilitarian strainer I like. I also favor their Dreamtime Instant tea for relaxing before bedtime. I recommend checking out their Hot Chocolate collection as well. Irish Cream, Caramel and Malt-- how decadent!

Summer pointed me in the direction of Herb + Ginger, which seems to be another wonderful tea shop. I'm very interested in the Candytopia and Queen's Caramel teas, which sound like they are sure to satiate my sweet tooth.
Their teapots are quite exquisite as well.

No comments: